The Last Week

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Wed Nov 28 10:43 MST 2001

List,

Well, this last week of classes (plus Monday) is turning
out to be kind of interesting.

Horacio Gutierrez is here to play the Rachmaninoff Piano
Concerto #4 with our orchestra. We're still one 'B' short
for the teacher's studios, so we always rent one when he
comes in to teach and/or perform.

This time, one wasn't available for this week, so I had to
rent a 'D'. To make a long story short, when it was delivered,
we discovered that a 'D' won't fit into our freight elevator.
So, panic time, trying to find another room for him to
practice in. Guess what I came up with? My shop! At least
he pretty much has 24 hr. access to it with no other conflicts.

So, when I've had to come in, I've been able to listen a little
to the concerto. His wife, Pat, was thanking me yesterday for
letting him use the shop and I told her it was no problem at
all and besides, it might be good for my image for the students
who don't know the situation, thinking that I might be able to
play something like that! Yeah, right! :-) She cracked up.

Anyway, concerts, recitals, juries, etc. Almost over for another
semester. It's been a pretty good one, though.

Now, we've got the International Piano Festival coming up in a
couple of months. Wonder if Abbey Simon will be able to get his
Baldwin shipped in as usual?

Isn't university work great? Never-ending challenges, it seems.

Regards,
Avery

mailto:atodd@uh.edu - Work           "I haven't failed. I've
                                       found 10,000 ways that
mailto:avery@ev1.net - Home           won't work."

Avery Todd
Moores School of Music                -Benjamin Franklin-
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4017
713-743-3226
713-743-3166 Fax