NASM review

Greg Granoff RPT gjg2@humboldt.edu
Tue Oct 2 12:50 MDT 2001

Fred,
Our department here at HSU finished its NASM review last year.  While the NASM
visiting committee was impressed with the level of maintenance and condition of our
aged fleet, (we also have no replacement/restoration budget to speak of and have
not seen a new instrument in many years) they stopped short of suggesting any
specific remedy.  In fact, I was told that adequate functioning within standards of
accessessibility of pianos to students was their primary concern, and specifics of
maintenance/replacement were not likely to be addressed, exept perhaps as a
footnote.  Despite severe shortages of space, budgeting, etc., we passed with
flying colors.  I sympathize deeply with your efforts and wish you the most
gratifying results, but in my new found cynicism, it seems clear to me that NASM is
about curricular issues first and formost, and facility/equipment issues dead last.

Best of luck,
Greg Granoff