NASM review

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu Oct 4 08:37 MDT 2001

Mark,
	NASM is National Association of Schools of Music. It is the
accreditation body for colleges and universities offering degrees in
music. Don't know if it operates in Canada as well as US.
	It's not that they actually have standards concerning instruments. But
there is an extensive "self-evaluation" that is whatever the department
makes it. Then a team from outside is sent in to review the self-eval
and talk to people and look at things. Then a report is created, which
usually identifies both strengths and deficiencies. Sometimes those in
the higher administration pay attention to the deficiencies.
	20 years ago, a NASM evaluation led to a new D, a new B, replacing the
group piano lab pianos with electronics (acoustic pianos moved to
practice rooms, displacing old clunkers), and enough budget for four
major grand rebuilds. We haven't seen any real money since. So I am
hoping to use the process to get attention and money again.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico