Hello,

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri Oct 12 06:38 MDT 2001

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the list and welcome to the (sometimes) crazy world of
university work.

Below is something Jim Coleman posted to the pianotech list some
time ago. The original is somewhere in the archives. This is one
that he sent to me just from memory but it will give you a pretty
good target. Of course, one big variable for frequency is how many
pianos you have and whether or not you have help. Hope this gives
you some ideas.

Avery

P.S. Where is Cedarville?

>  I recently took a position at a University. This is my first
>University job and am open to any suggestions to help me with setting
>up a tuning rotation for the schools pianos.
>Thank you,
>Doug Atkins, RPT
>Cedarville University
>atkinsd@cedarville.edu
>937.766.7566

Priority system at ASU from 1974 to 1989:

1.  Concert prep for every concert.
2.  Breakage or failures get fixed the same day I receive reports.
3.  Piano prof's studio pianos at least once every month.
4.  Performance practice room pianos at least every 2 to 3 weeks.
5.  Classroom pianos 3 to 4 times a year.
6.  Other studios 1 or 2 times a year. One particular studio every 5 years.
7.  Other practice rooms twice a year
8.  2 or 3 grand hammer sets per year.
9.  1 grand rebuild a year.

I forgot to mention: Every Monday was broken string fixing day. This was
primarily for Performance Practice pianos. There was always plenty to do.

Jim Coleman, Sr.     (I hope this is close to what I wrote before.)

>  >Somewhere in the archives I stated a priority system which I developed
>  >at the beginning of my 15 years at ASU (the undefeated football school
>  >this year, Rose Bowl etc.). This system was designed to be conservative and
>  >yet meet the needs of the musicians.

Avery Todd
Moores School of Music
University of Houston