Hello

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat Oct 13 10:27 MDT 2001

On 10/11/01 9:15 PM, "Newton Hunt" <nhunt@optonline.net> wrote:

> I did mine in a spread sheet, but I made the mistake of not posting the
> schedule.

As Newton alludes to here, good work does not guarantee the success of the
college piano tech. Any perceived imperfection in the condition of the
pianos on a given day can be seen as a failing of the piano technician.

Explanations about the age, quality, and quantity of pianos, the swings in
humidity within the music buildings, the hard playing to which the pianos
are subjected, and the differences in taste from pianist to pianist may all
be heard simply as the piano technician trying to explain away his own
weaknesses and unwillingness to work.

It can be hard.

The ideas presented in this thread for the tuning rotation are great, but
develop the service routine based on the piano tech work hours that are
available. I recommend against doing work for which you do not get paid.
Some may find this easier said than done. What can happen if the work load
is excessive is clear. Let's say the administration hires a full-time tech
but the school's pianos actually require 2 full-time techs. Something has to
give. Faculty members will want the necessary work done on _their_ pianos
regardless. If a faculty member requests piano service that does not get
done, it is more likely that there will be complaints against the piano
technician than it is that there will be complaints against the school
administrators who decided against a second full-time tech. Enough said
about that.

I strongly suggest that regardless of how excessive the workload is, find a
piano (or a few pianos) somewhere in the school and keep it serviced (and
voiced!) absolutely to the best of your ability. This will accomplish a
couple things. First, it will be provide a challenge to the piano tech and
stimulate the continuing growth of skills and experience. Second, the piano
tech can use the piano(s) as examples of how things would be if the piano
technicians were properly staffed.

Kent Swafford