fortepiano

Ken Eschete k-eschete@northwestern.edu
Tue Oct 16 13:19 MDT 2001

>Dear Rick,

I have come across pianos like what you are describing, although not
by that particular maker (or dealer if it is a "stencil piano").  I
am not sure that the  presence of a Viennese action makes this a
"fortepiano", but rather a mid-19th century grand piano with a
composite plate. Some Viennese makers, including Bosendorfer, stuck
with that action long after the rest of the piano makers had started
using the Erard type.  I have seen them with full cast iron plates
with cross-strung bass, and still a Viennese action!

The value of that instrument is about the same as any other from that
period...the style of action and makers name will not enhance the
value.  If it plays and holds tuning; and if it has a nice 19th
century case; that is what will determine it's value. What was the
price on the piano?

Sincerely,

Ken Eschete
Northwestern Univ.

--
Kenneth Eschete
Director of Keyboard Maintenance            Phone: 847/467-6970

  EMAIL: k-eschete@northwestern.edu