string breakage at becket

Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy Larson pianos@traverse.net
Thu Oct 18 06:08 MDT 2001

Richard,
There are no visible nicks in the wire that I can see.  Perhaps some would
show up under magnification (?).

You and Tom McNeil have both suggested the over tightening of beckets at the
time of stringing.   Does this technique tend to cause a string breakage
problem with all types of wire, or could this also be related to the relative
brittleness of the particular wire used?

Thanks again for your help.

Rolf von Walthausen