Buckling under Steinway Back Rail Cloth

John Baird jbaird@fgi.net
Thu Oct 18 10:54 MDT 2001

RE: Buckling under Steinway Back Rail Cloth
RE: Humidity

Dear List,

Has anyone had this problem?

Several of our new Steinway Bs have a strip of material under the Back
Rail Cloth that builds up the Back Rail a small amount. It's done as a
fine adjustment in the factory. Like the cloth, this strip of material
is glued only at the front edge. I have seen black and brown strips--the
brown is thinner. I called it fibreboard, but Steinway calls is phenolic
resin paper.

We apparently had high humidity in a couple of studios that caused this
paper to buckle in several spots. This raised the backs of a number of
keys, and of course affected key level and hammer line. My solution was
to glue the strip down solid--not just at the front edge (gluing down
buckled material was more difficult than I thought it would be!).

The word from Steinway is that they have never heard of this happening
before. Has anyone out there experienced this problem? For the most
part, our humidity swings between 35% and 65% RH, but has on occasion
gone just under 30% and just above 70%. Do your schools do better than
this? Thanks for any input.

John Baird
Millikin University