Guidelines formula - Questions

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu Oct 18 12:23 MDT 2001

List,
First, thanks to Fred and others for all the hard work on the new Formula!
I really like the idea of optional Base Workloads and what these numbers
have to show to administrators about how we would rank among our peers.

I'm in the process of inputting my inventory into the new formula and I've
come across a couple of questions on how one might enter variables for the
formula.  Forgive me if these questions have been dealt with previously.

First question, and this may be being picky on my part, involves comparing
actual performance pianos which require daily attention with piano faculty
teaching studios and even perhaps practice pianos reserved for piano
majors.  Shouldn't teaching studio instruments be assigned an Acceptable
Standard value of "Excellent/well tuned, voiced and regulated" (0.7)?  If
so, given that obviously you wouldn't service them daily as the performance
pianos, does this category adequately address the daily attention required
by the performance piano?  Or, should you simply assign a "Good/acceptable
musical level" rating (1.0) to piano faculty teaching studios, which would
make them equivalent to any other instrument in classrooms, practice rooms,
etc.?

Second question involves the "Quality" category.  Are these variables
inversely assigned for pianos which actually need more attention?  Example:
you've got an instrument which needs partial rebuilding (Condition rating
of "Fair/needs partial rebuilding" - 0.6).  If you assign this piano a
Quality rating of "Fair" (0.7) or "Poor" (0.3), the results show you need
more technicians to service a piano you do not deem worthy of the work it
needs - work you would likely never perform.  If, rather, this were an
instrument you would assign a Quality value of "Excellent" (1.3), this
variable has the effect of decreasing the number of technicians needed
rather than increasing it for work needed to be done that you would
actually perform.

I think what I'm trying to say is that as long as a piano is in good or
excellent condition, the Quality variable gives accurate results, but when
the instrument actually needs work, this variable appears capable of
producing inverse results from what is needed in reality.

Am I making sense?  Thinking too much?

What's the possibility of establishing accepted standard values for the
Quality variable for common makes/models of pianos, and perhaps the
"Acceptable Standards" variable for various situations?  I might say a
Baldwin Hamilton deserves a quality value of 0.7 (worth reconditioning),
while another tech gives it a 1.0 (worth partial rebuilding).  You might
say a general practice room instrument only deserves a "Fair" acceptable
standard while another tech gives it a "Good". Leaving these two variables
up to the opinion of one tech over another sort of blows a hole in the
consistency of the application of the Guidelines.

Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts and questions,
Jeff

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician
School of Music