Selecting new Steinways

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu Oct 18 13:39 MDT 2001

Hi Phil,
I'll have to second Mike's suggestion that the performer's preference is
the most critical input.  When USC bought 13 new Steinways for its new
building, the piano technician was not invited to go on the trip with the
piano faculty to New York.  The piano faculty did an excellent job of
selecting instruments on their own.  I can't imagine any Steinway D
surpassing the two they selected, and the B's they chose are as good or
better than any I've seen.  The only problems I've had with any of them
probably wouldn't be evident in the amount of time you'll have to "test
drive" them anyway.

Same situation occurred at U of Georgia School of Music, similar results.

However, when non-pianists went to select Ds for a couple of community
concert venues I'm aware of, the reviews haven't been so positive.

Let them select the pianos and you enjoy the rare opportunity to get to tag
along!

And yes, you (or the dealer) will have to prep the Steinways when you get
them.  This has been used for Japanese piano sales propaganda for years.
But I'd almost recommend you doing it since you'll be going on the
selection committee and seeing for yourself why the artists prefer each
piano.  I know of one instance where a piano was selected and then the
dealer altered it during the dealer prep to suit that tech's taste.  Then
when the piano was delivered, it was as if it wasn't the same piano they
selected.
Jeff