sharp key height

Richard West rwest1@unl.edu
Thu Oct 25 14:49 MDT 2001

John:

It seems to me that the most important thing for sharp keys is not how
high they are at rest, but where they end up when the key is depressed.
My guess is that sharp keys differ in thickness so that 1/2" may not be
standard spec for all sharps on all pianos. I've heard that 1/2" is a
maximum and at that spec, the pianist will work a little harder because
fingers have to be lifted a little higher.  In fact I've been told that
to make an action feel a little heavier, set the sharps as high as
possible, i.e., 1/2".  Setting the sharps lower runs the risk of burying
the sharps into the naturals.  I guess a more meaningful spec would be
the amount of sharp showing above the naturals when the key is
depressed.  I've heard the thickness of a nickle is best.  Trouble is, I
don't know how thick a nickle is.  I'll go measure one--I get .075.  So
let's say the spec for sharps is this:  Sharps when fully depressed
should not only take the action through let off and aftertouch but
should stand at .075 above the naturals.  Will that work?

Richard West