Sharp key height

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 25 14:56 MDT 2001

Hi John,

At our school, we routinely set sharp height at 1/2". I don't suppose
lowering the sharp height to accomodate the preference of one pianist
or another would make much difference, so long as the sharps don't
"bury" between the naturals and key dip isn't compromised. If you
happen to have a keyboard with those wretched .095 keytops, you might
get into some trouble lowering the sharps, but otherwise, go for it.

Tom Seay

>What height do folks  prefer on sharps? Although I've seen 1/2" is
>common, this feels just a bit too high for my liking. Some pianists will
>find "something" they just don't quite like about the 1/2", but they don't
>know exactly what the problem is.  I prefer just under 1/2 at 12mm, or
>slightly higher than 15/32"
>
>Comments?
>
>John Minor
>University of Illinois