Stage dolly wheels (was Re: upright wheels?)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri Oct 26 12:17 MDT 2001

I strongly recommend against arching the back to raise a piano. A much
better method is to sit with your knees under the keybed by a leg (or
under the rim in the case of the back leg) and raise the piano by "going
up on your toes." Depending how long your lower leg is, you may need a 2
by 4 or possibly two under your foot while doing this.
	The leg muscles are quite strong, and you'll be surprised how easily
you can lift a corner of a piano. Often one leg can lift a corner
easily. If necessary, use both. I usually have a portable sawhorse
(metal, foldable kind) that I slide under the bed or rim while the
corner of the piano is raised by my leg or legs. Sometimes with a piece
or two of two by material to make up the height I want.
	I often place pianos on stage trucks or do the reverse as a solo job
using this method (blocking under the corners I'm not lifting). I've
done this with at least a couple Steinway D's. (Don't think I'd like to
try a Kawai EX, though. Talk about a heavy piano!)
	Slipped and crushed discs are no fun at all to live the rest of your
life with. Use your legs instead.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico