Accu hitch pins

Mon Aug 12 09:25 MDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Tanner" <jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: August 12, 2002 6:34 AM
Subject: Re: Accu hitch pins

> Isn't this exactly the opposite of what Baldwin claims?  Don't they claim
> that the lighter loading INCREASES sustain?  (not that I'm arguing with
> your statement - I agree with it)
>
> Jeff
>
> Del wrote:
> >Baldwins in general tend to have a somewhat percussive sound with a
> >relatively short sustain. In part this is because of their relatively
light
> >soundboard loading.
> >
> >Del

Occasionally, though I'm sure not often within the piano industry, there is
a difference between marketing claims and reality.

String loading against the bridge bends the soundboard and increases its
stiffness. All other things being equal a heavily loaded soundboard appears
stiffer to the strings than does a lightly loaded soundboard. The stiffer
the soundboard the higher its impedance and, hence, the longer overall
sustain time. Especially at lower (fundamental) frequencies.

Del