Baldwin 6000

Stickney, Jeff P StickneyJP@mso.umt.edu
Thu Aug 15 09:26 MDT 2002

List,
	I have a Baldwin 6000 with the following problem.  The dampers in
the midrange do not shut off the high harmonics after release of the key.
They can be stopped by pressing on the damper or touching the string with a
finger.  I tried moving the damper up on the wire and it helped a little,
but did not totally eliminate the ringing.  The springs seem plenty strong
and the dampers follow when the string is depressed, so everything seems to
be in good working order.  The piano also has a low frequency "ghost" sound
after a chord is released - that after-ring I would usually associate with
an old upright with worn-out dampers.  This piano is only a couple of years
old.  Two other factors I have noticed that might come into play - 1) the
piano is pretty bright - hard hammers 2) there is no stringing braid on the
"waste length" (between the bridge and hitch pin) in the bass or
tenor/treble area.
	The low-frequency "ring" might be attributed to the lack of
stringing braid (?) but the high harmonics not shutting off in the middle
section (F above middle C is the worst - flat damper) has me perplexed as to
a solution (new felt, new piano?).  I have contacted Baldwin on this, and
although they sounded like they would try to be helpful, it has been two
weeks with no word.....any ideas from the list would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu