speaking of damper problems

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Fri Aug 16 15:21 MDT 2002

Wim,

have you tried moving the guide rail?

First I should ask; can you isolate the ring to one side of a unison?

Seasonal migration of damper guide rails can be indemic to the B's, though
not quite as predictable as the ceremonious removal and replacement of
key-block shims.

Though few know it, this ritual is the true inspiriation behind Stravinsky's
"Rites of Spring."
:>)

BTW, when I refer to moving the guide rail, I am talking about the very
slightest lateral shift.

kind regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
  Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 2:24 PM
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: speaking of damper problems

  Thanks for some of the suggestions. This morning I added I added a little
1 gram screw to each damper lever. It solved the problem in the treble, but
the bass still has an after ring on most notes. As I mentioned, this is on a
30 year old B, which is in a piano faculty's studio. I had replaced the
dampers and rebushed the guide rail. Right next to it is a 2 year old B.
Guess what? It has the same problem. The I went and tried 3 other B's, and
they all have the same problem. I guess it is an inherent problem of the B.

  Wim