Parts Decision

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon Aug 19 11:07 MDT 2002

List,

Well, I got the Ronsens in the other day and have been trying
to figure out the right combination of parts for the action of
this Steinway M (1925).

For those who've used the Renner parts kit and might be
familiar with the parts numbers, what seems to come closet to
app. 50 g. downweight (note #27) is the #913 041 straight heel
wippen and #913 031 shank/flange. That is the 17mm shank but
as near as I can tell, this would probably work best and
require minimal leading. The next shank down, #913 029
(16.2 mm ?) also comes very close.

The upweight is a little high though, closer to 30 than 25.

Out of curiosity, I just weighed all the old and new parts.
The old shank/flange/hammer assembly was 13.5 grams. The new
was 15.8g. The new hammer (#27) was 8.7g. I didn't pop the
old one to compare it.

The old wippen weighed 20.5g and the new, 22.1g. This action
has a good bit of verdigris, so it's kind of hard to compare
the new with the old.

This is the first time I've used the parts kit, so any advice
you can give me from what I've said above will be more than
welcome. I'd like to order the parts tomorrow. Thanks.

Regards,
Avery