speaking of damper problems

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 20 07:32 MDT 2002

Sorry, I asked about damper felt on a Baldwin B  (duh?).  I was catching up,
cramming through posts after vacation and I mixed two posts from Steinway B
and posts about Baldwins.  I am replacing Baldwin D felt next week and I
have precut Steinway and Yamaha strip and was wondering what others used.  I
can also use Renner.  The original was longer than the length of the precut
Steinway.  Thanks,

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
985.72P.IANO

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 2:03 PM
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Subject: speaking of damper problems

  I am, as we speak, working on a 30 year old B with some damper problems.
There are about a dozen notes that just won't damping cleanly, and the rest
that could use improving. I rebushed the guide rail and replaced all the
damper felts over Christmas, and that is when the problems started. C2 in
particular just doesn't want to shut off and F#1 has high overtones coming
out when the key is released. I remedied the problem several months ago by
gluing a small nut to the lever, with the intention of looking at this thing
in detail over the summer. Well, it's summer time, and I am working on it.

  I took the damper tray out of the piano, and cleaned all the groves, and
bent the springs slightly. It's got Teflon bushing, so there is no
restrictions there. Everything works and looks perfect. Since there seems to
be a general problem throughout the piano, I was thinking of adding a little
weight to each lever. I realize that would increase touch weight, but if it
was done uniformly, I though it might not be as noticeable.

  Before I put the tray back in, are there any ideas, thoughts, suggestions
that might help solve this problem.

  Wim