jack hitting h.flange

Gary Mushlin gmushlin@mac.com
Tue Aug 20 14:55 MDT 2002

Jon,

On the piano I examined, the problem was not that the wippen was lifting too
high due to capstan placement. I substituted my finger for the capstan and
found I could lift some of the jacks higher on some notes than on others.
Those were the ones that clicked. With my particular piano, the artist
wanted extra aftertouch. We could achieve it with all notes without the jack
blocking against the front of the window, even with the thicker felt we
(this was a collaborative effort with Rolf at Interlochen on one of his
teacher's pianos) installed. The only problem was the few "athletic" jacks
that seemed to want to jump higher and faster than the others. Gluing on the
felts did not require re-regulating the piano or eliminating the aftertouch
that the artist wanted. And the artist was happy with it.

I do think, however, that the problem is inconsistent parts. This was the
quickest and best solution we could come up with.

Sincerely,
Gary Mushlin, RPT