Mathushek "modern" squares ( Was Re: Hello??)

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Tue Aug 20 19:44 MDT 2002

stranges@Oswego.EDU writes:

> Anyone know anything about Mathusek Spinet Grands?? ( square grand, after
> some pertinent questions..)

Hi, Michelle, et al -

About 20 years ago I ran into a "late model" Mathushek square.  Very weird.
Seems to me it was built ca. 1950, perhaps earlier.  Shortly thereafter, at a
PTG convention, I chanced to meet an old gentleman who had worked for
Mathushek.  He said they were clearing out an old storeroom or warehouse and
found (a couple dozen?) square grand cabinets.  These were typical rosewood
with cabriole legs, etc.  They found more or less enough old plate castings
to go with them.  So they decided to make pianos out of them.  They were
lacking actions and pedal trapwork; and these they cobbled up from
then-current parts including modern grand piano wippens.

Sorry I cannot recall the gentleman's name, and know not whether he is among
the quick.

Perhaps this sheds some light on your mystery Mathushek.

           -     Tom McNeil ,RPT    -
Vermont Piano Restorations