Stanwood's method

Wed Aug 21 14:00 MDT 2002

Avery Todd wrote:

> List, OK, here we go. People always say the only stupid
> question is anunasked one, so here's my first not-stupid
> question. :-) I think I understand how to do the
> individual key and shank/flange/hammer measuring but what
> do I need to do about the verdigris whendoing down &
> upweight measurements? Wouldn't I need to try andclean and
> repin before I do those?

Yes definantly.  For that matter the more you can deal with
friction basic regulation issues the better.

>  Or can I do just certain of the other measurements in
> order to determine which parts to order and then do the
> whole process ?

The existing DW and UW figures are important as diagnostics
as they tell you what the BW and Friction are.  The BW fits
right into the formula along with your measurements for Key
Ratio, FW, SW and Whippen Radius Weight so that the overall
action Ratio can be determined.  Now tho BW is friction
independent, the measuring of BW is perhaps less so. The
more acurate the better.

Besides.... you dont have to do that stuff later then.

> Or should I just call Bob at Pianotek and ask him what to
> do in relation to ordering parts? Of course, then I might
> feel obligatedto order there. :-) It seems that I need to
> have the actual parts I'm going to use before all of this
> can be done. Am I correct?

There's  two phases really, as I understand. There is
diagnosing what you have, and there is setting up what you
want. You need to know the first in order to know how to get
from here to there as it were.

You generally are going to use new Hammers and Shanks so
those can be ordered anyways. Whippens with the assist
adjustable springs are ordered if you want to use those kind
of whippens or, in the case you are going to lift lots of
hammer weight, you have too. The whippens depend to some
degree on what you are trying to accomplish.

>  This is my first part of not understanding. I'm not
> verymathematically inclined so I'm still at the point of
> my "eyesglazing over" when I'm trying to wade through this
> and understandit. :-)
>
> Any advice appreciated.

The math needed to understand most of this is probably
easier then you imagine.

Remember your old algebra where they had you rewrite  A =
B/C so that you isolated first B then C ??  Its not much
more difficult ... that is unless you want to get into all
the justifications for how his formula work... but you dont
need that to use his system. Dont let the math aspect
intimidate you :) >Regards,>Avery

Cheers !

RicB