jack hitting h.flange

Gary Mushlin gmushlin@mac.com
Wed Aug 21 17:11 MDT 2002

Jon,

The problem is that the wippen and jack continue to rise after the key is
depressed.
It is the same principal as with the damper system. The back of the key
determines where the damper will end up height-wise, but it is necessary to
have a damper stop rail to keep the dampers from rising any higher than
necessary. The jack and wippen do the same thing to some extent, and need
something to stop the upward motion. Unless the wippen cushion is physically
attached to the capstan, the capstan certainly does not stop the wippen from
going higher until it returns to the capstan. Proof that this happens is
that if you stop the jack with the felt, the clicking stops, because the
jack cannot get high enough to hit the back of the flange. I must point out
that in order for the jack to get that high, the wippen had to rise well
above where the capstan ended up after the key was pushed and held down.
As I stated previously, there was plenty of space on this piano between the
final resting place of the jack and the front of the repetition window, even
with the thicker felt. So there is no danger of the jack blocking and
possibly breaking.

Jon, I think this is something that you have to see in order to believe.
When I first saw it, I still had trouble believing a jack could rise high
enough to hit the hammer flange. Once I believed it, then I knew...this is a
Steinway!

Sincerely,
Gary Mushlin, RPT