Mathushek squares

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri Aug 23 06:06 MDT 2002

Ron,

At 06:58 8/23/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a Mathushek square piano in my clientele (s/n 1626) which puts it
>between 1865 - 67.  The small size is certainly easier to work on and not
>as back breaking to tune.
>
>Does anyone know if and where I can get parts.  I most immediately need
>jack springs.  A tiny coil spring attached to a cord that runs from the
>front of the jack down underneath, thru the flange and attaching to the
>key.  I guess I could use elastic cord just to make it work.
>
>Ron Engle
>Dillsburg, Pa.

If stock springs from piano supply houses don't fit the bill, it sounds
like it is time for you to invest in a small chunk of 2x4, a few nails,
round nose pliers and some small size piano wire (perhaps harpsichord gages).

Remove and mike an existing one for an example and start practicing making
your own.  It's not really all that hard, and once you have the wire supply
you don't have to "make do" with an "almost fits" part.

Ya jus neva know when the skill might come in somewhere else.  I had an old
tractor which I got going again by making new distributor advance weight
springs out of piano wire... ;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(563)-387-1204  //  Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)

***If you receive something that says "Send this to everyone you know",