Crumbling pianos?

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon Aug 26 13:26 MDT 2002

One thing you should tell the music director is that Crumb wrote at the piano
in his office, which was a Steinway L, I believe. Hence, his inside the piano
moves are designed with that geometry in mind - where the struts are, for
example. Much of what he wrote doesn't work well on a 9 foot concert grand.
Trying to reach the correct nodes on strings can be impossible on such a long
instrument as well. So a model L (or maybe M) Steinway, Yamaha C-2, or
similar, might work better for them.
    I have used Post-its for marking nodes - just a very small strip from the
stick part, fished through and around the string. Doesn't seem to have much
effect on the sound of the string, and leaves no perceptible residue.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico