Crumbling pianos?

Rick Florence Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu
Mon Aug 26 17:41 MDT 2002

We've had BAD luck with any sort of solvent (including alcohol) and bass
strings - it will either discolor, cause loose windings, or both.  For node
points, we instruct our students and faculty to use the dry erase markers on
the plain wire and to tie colored yarn on the wound strings.  The markers
clean off easily and the yarn stays put, is easy to locate, doesn't effect
the sound at all, and comes right off.  (Tie on one sting of a unison - I
had to explain to one student why the note sounded funny after she tied two
bi-chord strings together tightly - DUH!)

For marking dampers, we have found that the post-it flags work the best and
leave the least residue.

BTW we have three pianos on which we allow preparations.  Everything else is
off limits.  Our faculty is very supportive.

Rick

on 8/26/02 11:34 AM, Otto Keyes at okeyes@uidaho.edu wrote:

> Blaine,
>
> I'd try a delicate line with a magic marker.  If the mark is done carefully,
> it will just be on the surface of the copper winding & can be wiped of with
> alcohol.  Crayon & tape will leave a residue which may get between the
> windings & collect dust, thus deadening the strings, if you try to get it
> off with solvent.
>
> Otto
> Piano Technician
> University of Idaho
> 208-885-7918

Rick Florence
Piano Technician
Arizona State University, School of Music