Floating pitch -- & ear plugs

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Wed Aug 28 18:02 MDT 2002

Greg,

Go ahead & beat on me.  I'm a big boy.

However, I should qualify my 40 cent statement (by the way, what happened to
the cent symbol on these keyboards?).  In August I would beat my brains out
knocking the pitch down 20 cts to 440, only to go back after the heat was on
for a bit & find them 20 cts flat & in need of a pitch raise.   Soundboard
movement & bridge placement, etc., etc. dictated where the most pitch change
would be, so we're not talking about an overall pitch change of 40 cts.  I
estimate the float to be in the 6-10 ct range, as my geriatric mind recalls
these events of some 25 years past.  At that point in history, damp chasers
were not particularly smart either.

Mark, your point about rocking the boat is well taken.  Moving the wire
constantly across the bearings makes your nice, clean termination point a
ditch in the string, resulting in wow-wows in the tuning, & pretty soon the
piano is a bow-wow.  Stand still in the middle & both boat & pitch will
stabilize.

Again, consider location.  Some locations are appropriate to float the
pitch, others are verboten.  Damp chaser systems in the outhouses in the
woods at the Banff Centre that we called practice huts were a real life
saver.  However, the heating systems were changed about the same time, so
that was a significant factor as well.

Believe me, I am quite loathe to rock the boat.....except when it can
accomplish something positive (most of the time).  However, it can be
interesting to discover the regurgitations that result from said boat
rocking.......but I digress.  Get your sailboat out, Mark.  The lake ain't
frozen yet!

Otto

Piano Technician
University of Idaho