Floating pitch -- & ear plugs

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Wed Aug 28 19:18 MDT 2002

Dave,
         I guess I should have been more specific about where I find
difficulty with floating pitch. Piano major practice rooms? Who's gonna
know? Other practice rooms where the piano is used for accompaniment ....
well, that depends on the instrument and or the major user of that room. If
you have an instrumentalist with a very keen sense of pitch I'd say give
them what they want. The rest, what they don't know won't hurt them.
Performance pianos, for me personally, always, always, always, A440 unless
specifically requested otherwise.
         My two cents (adjusted for inflation and priced against the yen
and the Euro for an actual value of .5 cents).

Greg Newell

P.S. Is it unreasonable to expect that practice room pianos receive Dampp
Chasers too?

At 06:59 PM 8/28/2002, you wrote:
>Greg:
>
>I float the pitch here, but it is always at least 440.  In the
>winter, if a piano is below 440 I bring it up to 440.  By spring or
>summer it's high.  Leave it.  I did one today that was at 443 (which
>is kind of my max, but there are exceptions) and I left it there
>knowing it will be back to 440 by November.  This was in a
>piano-major practice room.  Since most of our good pianists are
>European they feel right at home at 443.  Why would someone care if a
>practice room piano is 442?
>
>dave

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net