Floating pitch

Tim Coates tcoates@dtgnet.com
Wed Aug 28 21:14 MDT 2002

Wim,

I float pitch for many reasons.  But mainly I realized the pianos were
going to float on their own regardless of what pitch I set.  Simple
fact.  Yes people should hear A440.  But 90% of the time they won't
because the piano has moved from A440 just from climate changes.
Nothing we did or didn't do.  I should make the changes smoother for
those who use the pianos.  In my mind that is what it is about.  The
piano floats on its own, so I should make the float smooth.  I get more
complaints about pianos that are out of tune with themselves than pianos
that are off pitch (haven't even had a complaint about that).

That said, for me this doesn't apply to concert work.   Artist contracts
are very specific for a reason.

Tim Coates
Wapin Co., LLP