Floating Pitch

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 29 00:25 MDT 2002

>Question: If you have a concert piano that has not been tuned all summer,
>is in a non-controlled environment, and is now 20 to 35 cents sharp, What
>would you do?  Now imagine that you are already working at a discount, and
>you don't get paid extra for the extra work to lower pitch to A-440 and do
>a fine tuning.

Hi David,
                   The concert pianos get a good work over during the
summer. Reg, voicing etc. and are maintain at A440, Damp chaser and to the
floor water proof covers, so not super wild.
  Since we have mostly Yamahas the tenor end of the long bridge is as much
as 30 cents sharp. we pitch correct the tenor to the bass, then do a
standard tuning to the pitch that the piano wants to be at.   This time of
year between A441 to A442.
Time the end of nov we are doing a minor pitch raise. to A440.
Some of the reed and brass profs, A440 al the time.
But for the most part, float the pitch, and use common sense.

Regards Roger