Floating pitch

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu Aug 29 10:45 MDT 2002

Wim,
I wound up in a situation the other day in which I had to do an aural
tuning as quickly as you do.  Actually, I had gotten my student assistant
started on a faculty upright which was last tuned mid spring semester.
He'd finished the temperament when the professor came in and said, "I've
got a student in 25 minutes."  I told my assistant to move over, and I'd
finish it.  He watched.  We walked out the door as the student arrived.
I'd had to leave the high treble section untuned, so we would have time to
reassemble the piano and gather our stuff.

Walking down the hall, my assistant asked, "how'd you do that?"  I replied,
"ghykiquarmetlerobfndfbldfgkternbo."

If I had to do that for every tuning, I'd be in the nut house with fried
brain syndrome.  I had to take a 45 minute break to recover!

I've got to say, I applaud you.
Jeff

Wim wrote:
I am a very fast tuner. I can do a pitch change and fine tuning in about 35
to 45 minutes. (That's a practice room fine tuning). Maybe that is why I
don't mind doing the extra work to keep the pianos at pitch.