tuning speed was, Re: Floating pitch

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu Aug 29 11:49 MDT 2002

In a message dated Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:42:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu writes:

> If I had to do that for every tuning, I'd be in the nut
> house with fried
> brain syndrome.  I had to take a 45 minute break to recover!
>
> I've got to say, I applaud you.
> Jeff

I don't know if this helps, but one of the things I teach in my tuning class is to stop listening and start tuning. I have found that too many tuners spend too much time listening to where they are, instead of working to get where they have to go. By the time you do several notes, there is a pattern. So much pull to get the string up (or down) to pitch. It will be about the same on every string. Instead of spending time listening to the string, and saying, "yes it is out of tune", start pulling almost right away, with the same amount of force every time. That, for me, is what speeds up the process.

I have also been complimented, or "accused", that I have a "fast" ear. I seem to be able to hear how much out of tune a string is faster than most people. I don't know how that effects the tuning process, but maybe there is some truth to that.

Wim