Floating pitch

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Fri Aug 30 06:51 MDT 2002

Hi Don,
I'm not using under covers.  They will not work with under-the-beam
installation (which I understood was supposed to yield more effective
humidity dispersion than above-the-beam).  I felt fortunate just to be able
to order 10 systems at the time, and there've been NO funds available
since, because at the time the school of music was operating on a $200K
deficit and that's only gotten worse with budget cuts in the last 2 years.
Don't think I could have gotten the funds for covers, too.  These are
Steinway Bs.  I installed the first system above the beam and it was
extremely difficult, and I could quickly see that servicing the system
installed in that manner would be equally as difficult.  Also, the hanger
bars were buzzing against the soundboard.  So I did the rest of the
installations below the beam, and also went back and reinstalled the first
one that way.  Besides, it's not necessarily the low humidity we have as
much trouble with as high levels.  It rarely gets below 35% here, but it
will dip down to as low as 20% once or twice a season, with a few more
frequent dips into the lower 30%s.  But by April, we'll be in the low 60%
range and for about the next 5 or 6 months we'll be in the mid to high
70%s, with occasional measurements at 80%.

The biggest hurdle the systems have to overcome is the roller coaster we'll
have during the school year, that the HVAC system creates.  It'll swing up
and down as much as 30 and 40 points, almost week to week, with 20 point
changes day to day very common.  So, nothing's ever stable.  The most
stable time of year is the 60 months of very high humidity which has pianos
literally busting at the seams.

I used the six part systems recommended by Dampp-Chaser (I called them
before I ordered), and installed them exactly as I understood the
installation instructions.  Stability is much better than before, but I
also believe a part of that is in not fighting for absolute 440 every
tuning, because stability did not improve as much until I started floating.
Also, unplugging the humidifier from May until mid October helped
tremendously last year, so we did it again this year.

So, it is a combination of the two factors you mention.  I don't think the
system is capable of handling these swings without the covers.

I could probably improve the stability more and keep the pianos nearer 440
with more frequent tunings, but the studios are extremely difficult to
schedule.  The department chair only leaves his studio for meals and a good
night's rest.  He's back by 7:30 am at the latest on a daily basis.

Jeff