Fortepiano pitch levels

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri Aug 30 11:05 MDT 2002

>Since it's currently sitting down at about 415, that was an easy sell.  We'll
>see how the policy holds up over time, but the piano faculty totally support
>that position.  The woodwinds will have to deal with it. I don't know much
>about woodwinds, but it seems there should be an adaptable barrel
>available for
>them.  Actually, the meeting went so
>well that they also agreed to increase my budget for contracted help beyond my
>wildest expectations.  Made my day.
>
>Dennis Johnson

I have a dumb question. OK, ANOTHER dumb question. At A=415 (thereabouts),
it was very close to a semitone low. Seems to me it would be a whole lot
easier on everyone to either (a:transpose and leave the rest of the
instruments alone or (b:make a new keyboard (or entire action) with the
keys in correct modern relationship with the pitch, losing the top note. Or
is it the difference between it being usable and being authentic, or who
pays the price for compatibility? Dumping the problem on the woodwinds at
what seems to me an arbitrary pitch of 432 doesn't strike me as that
graceful a solution. That's all. I'm out of my element, so I'll go away now.

Ron N