soundboard springs

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 16:16:04 -0800

<Or is this another one of these parcealip trees to bark under ?>  Woof?  Woof?  :)

This always struck me as the rebuilder's equivalent of doing a tummy tuck on a pot-bellied pig.

Otto

ps:  Blame hi-tech for the typo on the self-tuning piano.  "S&C", not "S&S".  (or was that Freudian?)

Piano Technician
University of Idaho
208-885-7918
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Brekne
  To: College and University Technicians
  Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 2:31 PM
  Subject: Re: soundboard springs

  Was wondering...
  The installation of these springs as I understand it is such that two beams are used as a support for a piece of something or another that will hold the spring tight against the panel / ribs at some point. What would be the advantage or disadvantage of mounting a stronge enough piece of steel  lengthwise parallel to the beams and attach at the rim and back side of the keybed / case area instead ?

  Or is this another one of these parcealip trees to bark under ?

  RicB

  Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

       Del: The springs you mentioned in your April 2001 note.  McMaster Carr, 4 inch compression springs.  I don't have the part number at hand, but I will later in the day -- if that matters.  No, I was just curious. Good luck. I'm looking forward to reading about your results. Del

  --
  Richard Brekne
  RPT, N.P.T.F.