Are all students this stupid?

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 04:26:55 -0600

Willem,

At 20:11 12/06/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I gave the final exam to my Music Business class yesterday and one of the
>questions is "In the 1920 what three inventions brought music to the
>masses?". The answers were supposed to be: the radio, talkies, and the
>record player. Out of my 6 students only one got it right. But what was
>most disturbing was that three of them gave as one of their answers, the
>printing press
>
>Now I got to admit during one class session I mentioned that the printing
>press brought the printed word to the masses. But I know I didn't say in
>the 1920's?
>
>Are the students in Alabama the only ones so stupid,

nope

>or is this a national phenomenon?

yup, and, as our Norwegian correspondent says - international.

It's fairly natural, however.  If something happened before you were born,
it's hard for you to really get a grasp on the time frame.  I liken it to
swimming in the ocean.  If you've waded from the shore, and gone out until
the depth is over your head it doesn't matter HOW much over your head, you
still can't touch bottom. It doesn't matter if it's 8' or 8000', it's still
above your head.

If it happened before you were born (Strom Thurmond excepted), it doesn't
matter by how much.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.