those pesky swings

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:58:19 EST

We all know that a hammer is supposed to swing 4 - 8 times. If it is less
than 4, then the bushing is too tight. If it's more than 8, supposedly the
bushing is not tight around the pin, and that might cause the hammer to
wobble up to the string, which will eventually lead to uneven wear on the
hammer, whcih creates tone problems, ya da, ya da.

So here is the problem. I've got this hammer with only 3 swings. So that mean
the bushing is too tight. Before I take the pin out, ream the bushing, and
put in the same size pin, I put a little Protec on the bushing. But now, all
of a sudden, I've got 10 - 12 swings. According to the above presumption, the
bushing is now not tight around the pin any more.

Or is it? Has the introduction of Protec shrunk the bushing to the point I
need to ream and repin with a larger pin? Or do I leave the original pin in
there, and allow the 10- 12 swings?

Wim