Hammers for SD-10

isaacah isaacah@sprint.ca
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:29:30 -0500

Hi.

You ask about suitable hammers for your SD10.  May I suggest you use either
Isaac Cadenza hammers or the new Isaac Cadenza S especially designed for
concert grands.  You will find them closer to what the piano can deliver
right out of the box without doing a thing to them.  After 5/10 hours of
playing them in, if you wish for more brightness to cut through an orchestra
or a large hall filled to capacity - apply a few drops of your preferred
hardener, (thin solution), to the strike point on each hammer in those
sections you think need brighteneing, sugarcoat the tops so they don't ping
(if they do), that's all you have to do to these hammers.
What you'll get is tone that will change color with each change of playing
intensity  You'll also get voicing stability unmatched and a longer hammer
life.
All of this is just by way of a suggestion, but a good one.
Good luck and happy holidays
Ari Isaac..
----- Original Message -----
From: "Elwood Doss, Jr." <edoss@utm.edu>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 8:33 AM
Subject: Hammers for SD-10

> Hey folks,
> I need to replace hammers on a Baldwin SD-10.  I am considering either
Renner Blue hammers or Baldwin replacement hammers.  The Baldwin Tech said
that the Baldwin hammers were wider than the Renner hammers; were not Renner
blues, but similar.  He mentioned the weight of the hammers but was not sure
what the weight was.

> Any thoughts?
>
> Also would you also replace the hammer shanks?  Can I get away with not
replacing them?  Of course, I will regulate the action.