key bushings

Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:03:08 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: December 18, 2002 9:05 AM
  Subject: Re: key bushings

  It's always fun to go off on tangent on a questions. It adds some =
levity to the list. (Can I throw in my glue gun?)

  But besides just telling I should not use plastic bushings, I don't =
think any one told me why they should not be used. Remember, I want to =
put these on practice room grands, not the concert grand or the piano =
teacher's studio pianos.=20

Wrong material and not enough research and poor quality control.

The material didn't stand up well under long-term use. There was no way =
to fit them to various size pins and pins do vary in width. There was no =
way to adjust them to take up wear and they did wear. There was no way =
to hold them in the key mortise -- the ribbed ends just didn't make it. =
At the time there was no adhesive that would bond to the stuff to hold =
them in the mortise. They varied in size overly much. The manufacturer =
apparently used a multi-cavity mold and the cavities seemed to vary =
some.=20

I think that about covers it....

Del