key bushings

Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:33:23 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_000F_01C2A752.71173B60
----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Susan Kline=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: December 18, 2002 11:49 AM
  Subject: Re: key bushings

  At 11:03 AM 12/18/2002 -0800, you wrote:

    The material didn't stand up well under long-term use. There was no =
way to fit them to various size pins and pins do vary in width. There =
was no way to adjust them to take up wear and they did wear. There was =
no way to hold them in the key mortise -- the ribbed ends just didn't =
make it. At the time there was no adhesive that would bond to the stuff =
to hold them in the mortise. They varied in size overly much. The =
manufacturer apparently used a multi-cavity mold and the cavities seemed =
to vary some.=20
    =20
    I think that about covers it....

  But aside from THAT, they were just fine! <grin>=20

  Susan=20

-----

I find it some frustrating that in this so-called modern age with our =
sophisticated design techniques, our computers, our automated tooling =
and machinery that shameful excuse for a keybushing is the best we can =
do. Somebody actually spent time and money on this ridiculous thing. =
Somebody should have been ashamed of themselves but probably didn't know =
enough about the real piano world to be so.

The traditional key bushing certainly needs improving, but that atrocity =
was, and is, an affront to our industry and to the buying public.=20

Then consider, in the mid- to late-1880s a small piano maker in St =
Petersburg, Russia came up with this:

Beautifully made. Precisely detailed. Leather bushed. Fully adjustable =
-- those are two nicely and finely threaded screws going in from the =
side and those are two pins going down from the top neatly fitting in =
machined grooves in those screws. And, yes, they are still fully =
functional after some 125 or so years.

Ain't progress grand....

Del =20

------=_NextPart_001_000F_01C2A752.71173B60