key bushings

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:00:42 EST

In a message dated 12/19/02 7:03:27 PM Central Standard Time, fssturm@unm.edu
writes:

> I remember you commenting you thought a full
> time job caring for 70 pianos would be a walk in the park, when you first
> took the
> job. It's keeping up with bushings, and hammers, and knuckles, and
> regulation,
> and broken strings, and, and, and . . . - keeping those practice pianos
> almost as
> good as a concert instrument all the time - that really defines what being
> CAUT is all about, IMO. And means a lot of hours, more than anyone in the
> retail
> field could imagine.
>   All that said, thanks for asking about the plastic cauls. Keep questions
> and
> ideas coming. It keeps us awake and alive.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

Fred

Thank you for a very comprehensive view and explanation of bushing, and
practice room pianos, and their bushings.

Yes, when I first took the job, I made the comment that taking care of 70
pianos would be easy. But it wasn't long before I asked, how in the world can
one piano tech take care of 70 pianos, much less 100 or even 150 as some of
you do.

I thought I was a pretty good technician. But I have to admit that this past
year and half my learning curve has gone straight up. Having attended the
Steinway tech class has helped tremendously. But just by asking a lot of
questions on CAUT has also increased my technical skills.

Somewhere along the line we need to explain to university administrators,
that a piano technician for a university is not for the faint of heart. That
the qualification for the job needs to be more than just a passing knowledge
of pianos, and it must be someone with more than just a couple of years of
experience. And most important, that the university needs to allow the
technician time to attend seminars and convention, on "company time." That
is, if they car at all about their million dollar investment in pianos.

Again, Fred, thanks for your comments.

Wim