Guidelines/workload formula

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon Feb 4 08:00 MST 2002

In a message dated 2/3/02 10:52:49 PM Central Standard Time,
skolnik@attglobal.net writes:

> Wim, Fred, et al-
>
> Can you tell me how many pianos, or how many hours per day of actual tuning
> time is (as opposed to regulating, repair, coffee, etc.) is figured, either
> by Wim or by the formula?
>
> David Skolnik

I will give you my schedule. I would be interested to hear how it compares
with others out there that are full time.

My tuning time varies from week to week, but I will give you a run down of
what I am doing this semester. (I did it different last semester, as it was
my first time here, and I didn't know how pianos would react. But I have a
better understanding now. But then this summer, when there are virtually no
students or professors around, my time will be spent repairing and regulating
a lot of the faculty pianos)

Once a week I tune the 8 piano faculty grands, the choral opera room D, and
the recital hall's B. Because of the frequent tuning, each one only takes
about 15 - 20 minutes or so. Every other week I tune the 8 practice room
grand pianos, used primarily by the piano majors. Once a month I tune the
band and jazz band rehearsal rooms, (one in each room), the 7 classroom
pianos, and the 17 practice room studio pianos. All of these pianos ususally
take about 30 minutes. Every other month I remind the faculty (other than the
piano faculty), to remind them to get their piano tuned. This is so I can
schedule a time when they are not in their room.  (There are 3 faculty
members for whom I have not tuned their piano since August) On top of that I
tune the 2 concert hall D's on the average of three times a week. And later
on, when student recital are happening, I will do the Recital Hall B at least
twice a week.

Of course I don't do all the pianos in one week, I schedule them throughout
the month, so that I will tune an average of 20 pianos a week. I also teach 4
hours a week. This leaves me about 15 hours a week to do repairs,
regulations, paper work, etc. As I said earlier, I could work 60 hours a
week, because all the pianos need work. But I am taking my time, and
spreading this work out over the next 2 years.  I don't know what will happen
in two years. Maybe Vince is right and I won't have gotten done. But I'll
have to wait and see.

Wim