Guidelines/workload formula

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon Feb 4 09:28 MST 2002

David,
	The CAUT formula doesn't have any breakdown of hours for individual
tasks per se in its bowels. I'm sure the Steinway Guidelines were used
as a point of reference when the CAUT committee first started work on
the problem. Steinway does break down hours for tuning, regulation, etc,
even including office work and prep for offering a class. So you could
say that the Steinway hours are in the background.
	The CAUT guidelines try to account for more of the variability of
situation: humidity range, hours of use, condition, etc. The numbers in
the CAUT formula probably don't the variability adequately (difference
between a practice piano at a high powered conservatory, played hard 16
plus hours a day, compared to a piano in a band directors office,
occasionally used for a bit of score reading, for instance). To do so
would make it hopelessly complex.
	We do, however, want to have something that works as a "rule of thumb,"
that predicts a rational, real world workload in a variety of
circumstances, without making it so hard to use that nobody will use it.
I hope we are moving in that direction.
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
PS From a personal standpoint, my workload is double Wim's (80 at half
time), so my tunings take more time. All but the concert grand are
always a pitch change. So I budget 2 hours per piano. Almost never spend
more than 1 1/2 hour (usually 1 to 1 1/4) actually tuning an individual
piano. The rest is small repairs, adjustments, office, and coffee break.
That is to say, when I am mostly tuning, 4 pianos in an eight hour day
is what I consider a sustainable load. But I _am_ speaking of full
tunings here, moving pitch of every string.