Another 'D'

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue Feb 5 07:47 MST 2002

Hi Jeannie & Richard,

Since I promised to not let this run long AND since you are the
only two who've responded, I'll go ahead and tell you what I
finally found. You're both wrong but good guesses, anyway.

The pin from the damper tray which goes into a block on each end
was just a little loose in the guide block on the treble end. I
could hold the tray with my hand and hear a very slight noise &
feel a very slight looseness. If I put a screwdriver between the
tray and the block, twisted it a little to put a little side
pressure on the tray, the noise would stop. After I removed the
block and looked at it, it seemed that for some reason, the hole
had enlarged a little in almost an oval shape where the pin enters
the block and on kind of a sharp blow with the pedal, it would
cause a wood rattle kind of noise.

Besides the felt punching already there on each end, I noticed
that on the bass end, there were a couple of center rail thick
cardboard punchings. So I though, why not? I put a thick(ish) one
in on the treble end reinstalled everything and the noise was gone.
I don't know how long it'll last. I may have to do something with
the block later but for the moment, everything is quiet. :-)

Thanks for the posts and I hope this is just something you can file
away in your little bag of tricks for future use.

Regards,
Avery