make it heavier

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Wed Feb 6 14:24 MST 2002

At 03:31 PM 2/6/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I just got done regulating a Steinway O, (1930's vintage). It has new
>h.s.f., keys rebushed, etc. But the down weight is less than 40 g. One
>piano major has already complained
>
>I should probably know this, but how do I make the action heavier?
>
>Wim

Well, removing a little bit of lead would improve the upweight while
increasing the downweight.

Personally, I like keeping the centers nice and firm, especially the rep
lever center. (Not the jack center, though.) The friction would reduce the
"too light" feeling.
Fairly firm hammer centers help checking and reduce hammer bouncing. Seems
to help tone as well.

You don't say what the upweight is, or how many swings for the hammer flanges.

Susan