Guidelines/workload formula

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu Feb 7 07:40 MST 2002

David (and perhaps others),
	A suggestion for improving this type of "on-call" situation: I service
a fairly large private school here with about 15 pianos. What I do is
call each "tuning" a service, and define it as including 20 minutes of
work in addition to tuning. I may use that 20 minutes on that piano, but
more often "bank" the time. When enough "tech time" has accumulated,
I'll spend a day, or half a day, doing what seems most pressing:
recondition a particular piano, run through all the practice uprights
and tighten, adjust capstans and let-off, things of this nature.
	As a result, I only have to ask the administration when I want to do or
buy something major. I do charge accordingly. I find I can keep up
pretty well with the day to day wear and tear this way. It _is_ a
middle/high school, so not nearly the demands and wear of a performance
oriented university/college.
	Hope this helps.
Regards,
Fred Sturm