airline travel, post 9/11

Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy Larson pianos@traverse.net
Fri Feb 8 08:24 MST 2002

List:
Can anyone share recent experiences, or make suggestions, as to the best
way to transport personal tuning tools when traveling by air?  Previous
to 9/11 I either carried on or had the tools stowed in the cockpit;
without clear written guidelines as to what is allowed now it seems to
be up to whoever checks one in at the ticket counter whether one can
carry on tools or not.  Recently a technician in our area was able to
fly out with his tools but was refused boarding on the return flight
(prompting a LONG bus ride home and the purchase of a second set of
tools to prevent future problems).  The situation seems further
complicated if transferring planes in/out of gateway cities as one could
conceivably make it that far only to be turned away prior to reaching
one's destination.

Does anyone check their tools through as baggage (assuming equipment
like Accu-Tuners are allowed to pass through airports that x-ray
luggage) and if so, what type of case or carrying compartment do you
use?   Has anyone's tools ever been lost/stolen/damaged after being
checked through this way?

Thanks for your help.

Rolf von Walthausen