a little knowledge...

Sat Feb 9 16:49 MST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Newton Hunt" <nhunt@optonline.net>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: February 09, 2002 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: a little knowledge...

> > So List what's this about foam in the keybeds of Yamahas?
>
> I think the foam is in the brain.
>
> Newton

Actually some Yamaha verticals were (are?) built with what I would call a
'torsion box' keybed. Several crosswise boards, end pieces and a hollow
core. I assume the foam was added to keep them from sounding hollow.

Much has been made of this construction by some competitive dealers, but I
don't really see any problem with it. Saves a bit of weight (to make up for
the use of MDF elsewhere) and they are certainly strong enough and stable
enough.

Del