player pianos

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed Feb 27 12:14 MST 2002

It's not a simple thing to answer. On old player uprights you could
control dynamics to some extent by how hard you were pumping with your
feet. Then there were the "reproducer" players (high end, usually in
expensive grands), that have the ability to control dynamics within a
certain range for various sections of the piano (about four segments).
And then, of course, there are modern electronic players with solonoid
(rather than pneumatic) drivers, which can control dynamics on each
individual note to a certain extent and within certain parameters.
Disklavier, Pianodisc, and the like.
	Hope that helps a bit.
Regards,
Fred Sturm