humidifying tube

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed Feb 27 14:33 MST 2002

It's a Damppit (spelled something like that). (I bet they have a web
site - try different spellings). Very common for string instruments and
woodwinds. Some are placed in the f holes of violins, etc. Others, just
in the case. Lots of different diameters and lengths available. Usually
green with black endcaps, but might be in other colors as well. Or maybe
there is a "take-off" copycat manufacturere. I remember there being a
push for using them in pianos somewhat over ten years ago.
	I think they used to be just cellose sponges cut into strips and rammed
into tubing with holes, then ends capped. Maybe the absorbant material
has been changed over time. I don't think they release enough humidity
for a piano, not to mention other factors. Certainly not the control a
Damppchaser system gives.
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico