humidifying tube:thanks

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed Feb 27 16:22 MST 2002

For anyone interested, there are two brand names: hydroceel and damp-it.
Damp-it is probably domestic, but web-site appears to be www.damp.it
(which places the web-site in Italy, but probably just being cutesy. I
wasn't able to connect). Hydroceel is German, and specifically does
market to pianos. I remember now (this has jogged my memory)
experimenting with one or the other ten or 15 years ago for use in a
harpsichord. Made some clamping devises to hold two or three of them
around the rim, a few inches down. Was not at all impressed with the
results. And then I dismantled one and found slices of cellulose sponge
- could have made them myself for a fraction of the cost.
	I do believe there is a much fancier substance used in one of these
brands today - maybe both. And judging by a cursory web-search, many
Europeans seem to swear by hydroceel (it's on the UK piano page, for
instance).
Regards,
Fred Sturm